Finding new ways to enjoy classic comfort foods, while making them as clean and nutrient filled as possible, is one of my favorite things in the world! This is one such recipe born out of that quest. A quest that ultimately birthed the search and eventual development of this recipe for grain-free zucchini bread. Starting with a basic almond meal loaf recipe, it transformed into something rather unique and incredibly delicious...If I do say so myself ;)
How can you make zucchini bread even more nourishing? You supercharge the ingredients!
Tigernuts & tigernut flour: "tigernuts" is actually a misnomer, seeing as these little nutrient packed guys are actually a vegetable (a starchy tuber, to be precise)--not a nut! They are filled with resistant starch, which is an incredibly powerful prebiotic (more on this soon!) and therefore helps your body maintain healthy gut bacteria and digestion! Also, these little crunchy delights were a major source of nutrition during the evolution of pre-humans to humans, so these are about as ancient as you get. They're naturally sweet with a low glycemic index, making them perfect for sweet baked goods. They're also packed with healthy fats, unlike most other starchy tubers like potatoes! This is exactly why tigernut flour is so ideal for baking. Search for discounted Organic Gemini Tigernut Flour HERE
Super berries: goji berries, mulberries, golden berries, oh my! Personally, these three superfood berries are my favorite combination for this loaf, but I always encourage people to explore, experiment and have fun! Some other great options are golden raisins and maqui berries. All of these are fantastic super packed pieces of sunshine, filled to the brim with vitamin C, beta-carotene, and antioxidants!
Try this Superfood Zucchini Bread for any occasion to guarantee a splash of color, a symphony of flavor, and an array of nutrients! This dish is sure to delight. Check out our recipe below!
Homemade SUPERFOOD Zucchini Bread Recipe!
3 organic pasture-raised eggs
3 TBSP coconut oil (liquid form)
½ cup maple syrup or honey
2 cups organic almond meal (Unblanched)
1/4 cup tigetnut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
½ tsp organic baking soda
1 tsp organic cinnamon
1/4 tsp organic clove
1/2 tsp organic nutmeg
¼ tsp @myOjio raw vanilla powder
½ ripe banana, mashed
½ cup raw pecans, chopped, preferably sprouted
½ cup dried SUPERBERRY MIX (suggestion: goji berries, mulberries, golden berries, maqui berries, golden rainsins, etc.)
½ cup grated zucchini, moisture removed
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a small mixing bowl, beat together wet ingredients, making sure to incorporate some air while whipping the, togrther.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well integrated and there are no clumps.
4. Combine your wet and dry ingredients together. Once fully mixed, let the batter sit while you move on to the next step.
5. Chop pecans and grate zucchini. To remove moisture from the grated zucchini, place zucchini on a paper or re-usable kitchen towel. Place a second towel on top of the zucchini (make sure they’re super clean if using a re-useable!), and pressed down with your hands. All the excess moisture will begin to release from the zucchini. Keep doing this until little to no moisture is releasing from the zucchini on to your towel.
6. Then in a small bowl or cup, combine final ingredients—pecans, mashed banana, grated zucchini and superberries. Once they are all nice and mixed up, pour those contents in with your batter, and gently fold until evenly distributed
7. Grease a small loaf pan (8.5in x 4.5in) with coconut oil. Pour batter into pan, and then bake for roughly 40 minutes (bake times will vary depending on oven), rotating once after 20 minutes. Check if it’s done with a toothpick, knife, or fork. If it comes out clean from the center of the loaf, you’re all done! If not, pop it back in the oven for a few extra minutes.
8. Let it sit on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before trying to remove it from the loaf pan.
Slice it up, spread a little coconut butter or raw butter on it, and you’ve got the perfect breakfast, snack OR dessert!